Hello Harmony / Iron County Families,
We hope you are having a great school year.
This is our touchpoint email, and you will receive one every month. Look for it because it will contain pertinent links, important dates and other information to keep you fully informed. Be sure to add this email address to your contact list so that you never miss one.
In this Touchpoint:
- Acadience Testing
- Flex Submission Dates
- Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
- Reading Elective Book Report
- Resource Orders
- Get Social
A great place to stay up-to-date on important dates is the calendar found on the parent dashboard. Here you’ll find information such as Flex submission dates, testing dates, school dates, etc.
Click here for the official Iron County School District calendar for the 2021-22 school year.
Upcoming School Dates:
November 24-26: Thanksgiving Break – No School
December 22- January 3: Christmas Break – No School
Middle-of-year testing for Acadience is December 1- 17. Your mentors will be reaching to you soon to schedule a time to set that up. If you have already sent an opt-out form, you can disregard this. If you haven’t and want to opt out, please send the form to your mentor as soon as possible.
This year it is important for students to turn assignments in on time and not get behind in online courses. Iron County cares about your students’ attendance and making sure that students learn what they need to in order to succeed.
- Attendance is tracked by progress. Students need to have grades of at least 70%. Students with a grade lower than 70% need to make 5% progress in at least one class every 2 weeks to be considered fully attending.
- Students that don’t progress at least 5% in at least one of the classes that is below 70% will receive a truancy letter.
- If your student is sick or will be out of town, let your mentor know so that the student can be marked as absent.
Flex Submission Dates
Here are the Flex Direct and Flex Independent submission dates for the 2nd quarter. Be sure to submit your students’ worksheets on time as this tracks attendance and progress.
- Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math
- Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science, MS Electives
- Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, MS Electives
- Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science
- No Kindergarten Submission
Flex worksheets for Kindergarten courses have been updated as follows:
- Kindergarten Language Arts: 16 total worksheets for the year
- Kindergarten Math: 16 total worksheets for the year
- Kindergarten Science: 8 worksheets for the year
Please note which Kindergarten worksheets will be submitted for each date.
To find helpful information about Flex Direct or Flex Independent courses, log into the Family Resource Center and go to the Curriculum Orientation. From the sidebar menu in the Flex Direct and Flex Independent sections, you’ll find FAQs, which include submission instructions and a submission video.
Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
For Harmony Portfolio courses, the 2nd quarter portfolio submissions are due on Dec. 3. All portfolios need to be submitted no later than Dec. 10 to give the teachers time to review and grade them before the end of the quarter.
The guidelines for portfolios are as follows:
- 5-8 portfolio items per subject.
- Items need to show student work, and examples could include worksheets, reports, tests/quizzes, science projects, etc. Remember that portfolio Items need to be the student’s actual work, not a learning log or description of what the student has been doing.
- Portfolio items need to be grade-level work.
- Portfolio items need to demonstrate student work over the course of 2 months.
Reading Elective Book Report
If your child is taking the Harmony Reading Elective, please help them answer the following questions and then send the responses to your mentor. This response will be entered into the gradebook as a Pass grade. Please respond by Dec. 3.
- What is the favorite book that you have read or that someone has read to you this semester?
- Share something that you have enjoyed in the book. This can be a brief written report or a picture you’ve drawn of a favorite part of the book.
If your child is an early reader, the book report may be about a book that a parent or sibling has read to the student or a book that they have “looked at” and enjoyed. Pre-reading activities are encouraged for students who are learning to read.
Resource ordering is now closed for the 1st ordering period for Harmony to order items for you. Resource ordering will open again from Dec. 1 to Jan. 31. Please note that orders placed in December are not guaranteed delivery before Christmas.
You are also able to submit a reimbursement request each month from now through the end of May. Only one document may be uploaded for each reimbursement request, but you may include multiple receipts in the document.
You can also check the status of your resource request by logging in to the Family Resource Center and going to the parent dashboard. Select your student’s name to see the status of their course registration and/or resource orders.
If you have special needs concerns for your student, please contact your mentor. Your mentor will send concerns to our paraeducator. She will work with the Iron County team to meet those needs.
Are you on Facebook? Are you part of our growing community of Harmony parents? If not, please join us and get social. It’s a great place to share what is working with your family, ask questions of other parents, and receive updates on Harmony activities. Find us at:
We wish you a wonderful school year!
Brianna Webster (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Iron Account Manager
Denise Glines (email@example.com)
Amanda Hernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Gwen Adams (email@example.com)
Hannah Keller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jessie Riddle (email@example.com)
Ranya Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org)
High School Mentor
Stacey Snow (email@example.com)