Hello WLA / Harmony Families,
Happy Thanksgiving! We have now started 2nd quarter, and we hope that your children are working well in their courses. If your child has Portfolio courses, be sure to note the 2nd quarterly portfolio due date, which is coming up quickly on Nov. 18!
This is our touchpoint email, and you will receive one every month. Look for it because it will contain pertinent links, important dates and other information to keep you fully informed. Be sure to add this email address to your contact list so that you never miss one.
In this Touchpoint:
- Important: Wasatch Homeroom / Attendance
- Checking Grades in School Pathways
- Flex Submission Dates for 2nd Quarter
- Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
- Reading Elective Book Report
- Resource Orders
- Get Social
A great place to stay up-to-date on important dates is the calendar found on the parent dashboard. Here you’ll find information such as Flex submission dates, testing dates, school dates, etc.
- November 23-25: Thanksgiving Holiday, no school
- November 24-25: Harmony office closed
- December 20: 2nd quarter ends
- December 21-January 3: Winter break
- December 23-26: Harmony office closed
- Jan. 2: New Year’s Holiday, Harmony Office closed
- January 3: 3rd quarter begins
Important: Wasatch Homeroom / Attendance
Be sure to have your child respond to the weekly attendance question in the Homeroom course in Canvas. The question is posted each Friday, and you have until the following Friday to answer the question. Doing so provides WLA a weekly attendance log and helps them to have a connection with students. This is an important part of your child’s attendance with WLA.
A great suggestion is to set a reminder, alarm, or event for every Friday so that your children won’t miss another Homeroom question!
Checking Grades in School Pathways
Be sure to check School Pathways for your child’s course grades. School Pathways is used to gather all online, Flex, and Portfolio grades into one place. Twice a month grades are updated, based on student progress and scores on assignments. Login emails for School Pathways were sent to you. Contact your mentor if you missed that email to have it sent to you again.
Flex Submission Dates for 2nd Quarter
Here are the remaining Flex Direct and Flex Independent submission dates for the 2nd quarter. The Kindergarten worksheet submissions are in parentheses.
October 21 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math)
November 4 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science)
November 18 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math)
December 2 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science)
December 16 – (No Kindergarten Submission)
Please note that you are encouraged to use the Flex answer keys to grade your child’s worksheet. You can score the worksheet and mark it at the top of the first page with a circle. For example, “18/20 correct”. Our graders will then review and enter the score.
For 2nd quarter, make sure to submit the following number of worksheets.
- Flex LA, Math, Science, Social Studies for grades 1-8: 5 worksheets/quizzes
- Flex Kindergarten LA, Math: 4 worksheets/quizzes
- Flex Kindergarten Science: 2 worksheets/quizzes
- Flex Electives: 3 worksheets
To find helpful information about Flex Direct or Flex Independent courses, log in to the Family Resource Center and go to the Curriculum Orientation. From the sidebar menu, select the Flex module. You’ll find FAQs, which include submission instructions and a submission video.
Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
For Harmony Portfolio courses, the 2nd quarter portfolio submissions are due on Nov. 18. All portfolios need to be submitted no later than Dec. 9 to give the teachers time to review and grade them before the end of the quarter.
The guidelines for portfolios are as follows:
- 5-8 portfolio items per subject.
- Items need to show student work, and examples could include worksheets, reports, tests/quizzes, science projects, etc. Remember that portfolio Items should be the student’s actual work, not a learning log or description of what the student has been doing.
- Portfolio items need to be grade-level work.
- Portfolio items need to demonstrate student work over the course of 2 months.
Reading Elective Book Report
If your child is taking the Harmony Reading Elective, please help them answer the following questions and then send the responses to your mentor. This response will be entered into the gradebook as a Pass grade. Please respond by Dec. 2.
- What is the favorite book that you have read or that someone has read to you this semester?
- Share something that you have enjoyed in the book. This can be a brief written report or a picture you’ve drawn of a favorite part of the book.
If your child is an early reader, the book report may be about a book that a parent or sibling has read to the student or a book that they have “looked at” and enjoyed. Pre-reading activities are encouraged for students who are learning to read.
Resource ordering is now closed for the 1st ordering period for Harmony to order items for you. Resource ordering will open again from Dec. 1 to Jan. 31. Please note that orders placed in December are not guaranteed delivery before Christmas.
You are also able to submit a reimbursement request each month from now through the end of May. Only one document may be uploaded for each reimbursement request, but you may include multiple receipts in the document.
You can also check the status of your resource request by logging in to the Family Resource Center and going to the parent dashboard. Select your student’s name to see the status of their course registration and/or resource orders.
Are you part of our growing community of Harmony parents? If not, please join us and get social. It’s a great place to share what is working with your family, ask questions of other parents, and receive updates on Harmony activities.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/harmonyedutah/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/harmonyed_/
We hope your family is having a wonderful educational experience. Please contact your mentor if you have questions about any part of the Harmony program.
Nancie Metro, Program Manager
Ashley Coney, Mentor
Carly Purdy, Mentor
Cristi Aguirre, Mentor
Emery Melendez, Mentor
Libby Rice, Mentor
Melissa Newberg, Mentor
Noelle Quijano, Mentor
Ranya Williams, Mentor
Sarah Dooley, Mentor
Stacey Snow, Mentro
Denise Glines, Paraeducator