There are three types of exemptions:
**All three of these exemptions require a signed form. You can obtain these forms from your local health department.
Immunization RequirementsIf an exemption is not presented, the following immunizations are required for school admittance:
Utah State Statutory Codes(regarding immunizations and exemptions)
53A-11-301. Certificate of immunization required.
(1) Unless exempted for personal, medical, or religious objections as provided in Section 53A-11-302, a student may not attend a public, private, or parochial kindergarten, elementary, or secondary school through grade 12, nursery school, licensed day care center, child care facility, family care home, or headstart program in this state unless there is presented to the appropriate official of the school a certificate of immunization from a licensed physician or authorized representative of the state or local health department stating that the student has received immunization against communicable diseases as required by rules adopted under Section 53A-11-303.
(2) School districts may not receive weighted pupil unit monies for a student unless the student has obtained a certificate of immunization under this section or qualifies for conditional enrollment or an exemption from immunization under Section 53A-11-302.
53A-11-302. Immunizations required — Exceptions — Grounds for exemption from required immunizations.
(1) A student may not enter school without a certificate of immunization, except as provided in this section.
(2) Except as provided in Subsection 53A-11-1402(4), a student who at the time of school enrollment has not been completely immunized against each specified disease may attend school under a conditional enrollment if the student has received one dose of each specified vaccine prior to enrollment.
(3) A student is exempt from receiving the required immunizations if there is presented to the appropriate official of the school one or more of the following:
(a) a certificate from a licensed physician stating that due to the physical condition of the student one or more specified immunizations would endanger the student’s life or health;
(b) A completed form obtained at the local health department where the student resides, providing:
(i) the information required under Subsection 53A-11-302.5(1); and
(ii) a statement that the person has a personal belief opposed to immunizations, which is signed by one of the individuals listed in Subsection 53A-11-302(3)(c) and witnessed by the local health officer or his designee; or
(c) a statement that the person is a bona fide member of a specified, recognized religious organization whose teachings are contrary to immunizations, signed by one of the following persons:
(i) one of the student’s parents;
(ii) the student’s guardian;
(iii) a legal age brother or sister of a student who has no parent or guardian; or
(iv) the student, if of legal age.
53A-11-303. Regulations of department.
(1) The Department of Health shall adopt rules to establish which immunizations are required and the manner and frequency of their administration.
(2) The rules adopted shall conform to recognized standard medical practices.
(3) The rules shall require the reporting of statistical information and names of those not in compliance by the schools.
More information regarding the Utah State Department of Health’s requirements for immunizations may be found at :