Hello Harmony / Iron County Families,
How is it November already? We hope you are looking forward to spending time with family and friends as Thanksgiving and other holidays draw near. Something to note is the ordering window for 1st semester is now closed. We invite you to start getting your lists ready for the 2nd semester resource ordering window which runs from Dec. 1-Jan. 31. We are so excited to keep serving you and your students. For any questions or clarification, please reach out to your mentor.
In this Touchpoint:
- Important: Iron Homeroom / Attendance
- Flex Submission Dates
- Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
- Spotlight: Reading Eggs
- Get Social
A great place to stay up-to-date on important dates is the calendar found on the parent dashboard. Here you’ll find information such as Flex submission dates, testing dates, school dates, etc.
Click here for the official Iron County School District calendar for the 2023-24 school year.
Upcoming School Dates:
Nov 22-24: Thanksgiving Break (No School)
Dec 8: Last day to submit work
Dec 21-Jan 2: Christmas Break (No School)
Middle of Year Acadience testing will begin on December 1st. If you tested at the beginning of the year, please reach out to your mentor to get that scheduled and done as soon as possible. We have a lot of students to test and want to make sure we have time for everyone.
Important: Iron Homeroom / Attendance
Be sure to have your child respond to the weekly discussion post in the Iron Homeroom in Canvas. The question is posted each Friday, and you have until the following Friday to answer the question. Responding each week provides Iron County a weekly “attendance log” and helps them to have a connection with students. This is an important part of your child’s attendance with Iron County.
If you have any questions about the weekly Homeroom question, please contact your mentor.
Flex Submission Dates
Here are the Flex Direct and Flex Independent submission dates for the 1st semester. Be sure to submit your student’s worksheets on time as this tracks attendance and progress.
November 10 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math)
November 21 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science)
December 8 – (No Kindergarten Submission)
To find helpful information about Flex Direct or Flex Independent courses, log into the Family Resource Center and go to the Curriculum Orientation. From the sidebar menu in the Flex Direct and Flex Independent sections, you will find FAQs, which include submission instructions and a submission video.
Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
All portfolios need to be submitted no later than December 8 to give the teachers time to review and grade them.
The guidelines for portfolios are as follows:
- 5-8 portfolio items per subject.
- Items need to show student work, and examples could include worksheets, reports, tests/quizzes, science projects, etc. Remember that portfolio Items need to be the student’s actual work, not a learning log or description of what the student has been doing.
- Portfolio items need to be grade-level work.
- Portfolio items need to demonstrate student work over the course of 2 months.
Spotlight: Reading Eggs
Did you know that Harmony provides Reading Eggs accounts to all students? Reading Eggs is an online reading and phonics program, including 4 programs.
- Reading Eggs begins at the emergent level, helping pre-K through 2nd grade learners develop foundational skills as they learn letters and sounds, spelling, sight words, and basic sentences.
- Reading Eggspress includes exciting learning tasks that encourage proficient reading for 2nd/3rd through 6th grade students, helping them to develop reading, spelling, and vocabulary skills through engaging, age-appropriate activities and games.
- Fast Phonics is designed to teach, reinforce, and assess core phonics skills with 400 quick and fun lessons entirely focused on synthetic phonics instruction.
- The extensive online Library is packed with a collection of over 2,500 fiction and nonfiction ebooks. Students can select stories according to Lexile level, reading age, or genre, and they can even listen to books read aloud.
You are encouraged to use this program with your children as best meets their needs. There are no expected number of activities, and students are not required to use this program.
A new Reading Eggs section has been added to Harmony’s Curriculum Orientation, and you can find it here.
Ordering is now closed for 1st semester but will open again on December 1st. It is a perfect time to get lists ready for anything you need to get to help your student’s education. Orders will start being processed on December 1st on an FCFS basis and will be processed within 14 business days, but we can’t guarantee any items will arrive by Christmas. For all the ordering types except reimbursement, you can submit one order per semester per student.
Second semester ordering period is Dec 1 – Jan 31.
Are you part of our growing community of Harmony parents? If not, please join us and get social. It’s a great place to share what is working with your family, ask questions of other parents, and receive updates on Harmony activities.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/harmonyedutah/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/harmonyed_/
We wish you a wonderful school year!
Brianna Webster, Iron Account Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Denise Glines, Paraeducator (email@example.com)
Amanda Hernandez, Mentor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Gwen Adams, Mentor (email@example.com)
Hannah Keller, Mentor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Melanie Ornelas, Mentor (email@example.com)
Tammy Henderson, Mentor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tegan Sides, Mentor (email@example.com)
Ranya Williams, High School Mentor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Stacey Snow, Mentor (email@example.com)