Hello Harmony / Wasatch Learning Academy Families,
Happy New Year! We hope you had an amazing break and were able to enjoy time with loved ones. The start of a new semester is a great opportunity to mark submission dates and goals on your calendar! If you have questions about how much progress you have made with online curriculum and what is expected for this semester, you can reach out to your mentor.
In this Touchpoint:
- Important: Wasatch Homeroom / Attendance
- Flex Submission Dates
- Portfolio Submissions for 3rd Quarter
- Options Day 2nd Semester
- Spotlight: Study Island/
- Get Social
A great place to stay up-to-date on important dates is the calendar found on the parent dashboard. Here you’ll find information such as Flex submission dates, testing dates, school dates, etc.
Click here for the official Wasatch County School District calendar for the 2023-24 school year.
Upcoming School Dates:
- Jan. 31: 2nd semester resource ordering closes
- Feb. 9: Trimester 2 portfolio submission
- Feb. 19: Presidents Day, Harmony office closed, no school
- March 13: End of 3rd quarter
- March 14-15: PD days, no school
- April 8-12: Spring Break, no school
- April 19: 4th quarter portfolio submissions due
- May 24: End of 4th Quarter, last day of school
- May 27: Memorial Day, Harmony office closed
Important: Wasatch Homeroom / Attendance
Be sure to have your child respond to the weekly discussion post in the Wasatch Homeroom in Canvas. The question is posted each Friday, and you have until the following Friday to answer the question. Doing so provides Wasatch Learning Academy with a weekly “attendance log” and helps them to have a connection with students. This is an important part of your child’s attendance with WLA.
If you have any questions about the weekly Homeroom question, please contact your mentor.
Flex Submission Dates
Here are the Flex Direct and Flex Independent submission dates for 3rd Quarter. Be sure to submit your student’s worksheets on time so that our graders can have time to grade them and we can record your students’ progress.
January 12 – (Language Arts, Math, Science)
January 26 – (Language Arts, Math)
February 9 – (Language Arts, Math, Science)
February 23 – (Language Arts, Math)
March 8 – (No Kindergarten Submission)
To find helpful information about Flex Direct or Flex Independent courses, log into the Family Resource Center and go to the Curriculum Orientation. From the sidebar menu in the Flex Direct and Flex Independent sections, you’ll find FAQs, which include submission instructions and a submission video.
Portfolio Submissions for 3rd Quarter
For Harmony Portfolio courses, the 3rd quarter portfolio submissions due date is Feb. 2nd. Be sure to get those submissions in so that the graders will have time to review them. If you have questions about submissions, please contact your mentor for instructions.
The guidelines for portfolios are as follows:
- 5-8 portfolio items per core subject (math, language arts, science).
- 1 portfolio item per elective for elementary students.
- 1-2 portfolio items per elective for middle school students.
- Items need to show student work, and examples could include worksheets, reports, tests/quizzes, science projects, etc. Remember that portfolio Items need to be the student’s actual work, not a learning log or description of what the student has been doing.
- Portfolio items need to be grade-level work.
- Portfolio items need to demonstrate student work over the course of 2 months.
Options Day for 2nd Semester
Did you know that your child can still join Options Day for 2nd semester? Options Day offers 4 hours of fun, elective classes with other Harmony students. If you are interested in Options Day for 2nd semester, your mentor can help you and also answer any questions you may have.
American Fork: Mondays or Thursdays
Spotlight: Study Island
Did you know that Harmony provides Study Island accounts to all students? Study Island provides K–12 practice and standards mastery in language arts, math, science, and social studies. It will help improve your child’s proficiency and retention in these key subjects. This program also provides test prep for year-end state assessments.
While Study Island is a beneficial program for all students, for students with Flex or Portfolio courses, Study Island may be used as a part of the student’s curriculum.
You are encouraged to use this program with your children as best meets their needs. There are no expected number of activities, and students are not required to use this program.
Ordering will be open until January 31st so make sure to get all your resource orders in by then for them to be processed. Reimbursements will be open until the end of May.
2nd semester ordering window is Dec 1 – Jan 31.
Are you part of our growing community of Harmony parents? If not, please join us and get social. It’s a great place to share what is working with your family, ask questions of other parents, and receive updates on Harmony activities.
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/harmonyed_/
Have a safe and warm January,
Emery Melendez, Program Manager
Denise Glines, Paraeducator
Ashley Coney, Mentor
Carly Purdy, Mentor
Libby Rice, Mentor
Mario Wilcock, Mentor
Melissa Newberg, Mentor
Noelle Quijano, Mentor
Sarah Dooley, Mentor