Hello Harmony / Wasatch Learning Academy Families,
How is it November already? We hope you are looking forward to spending time with family and friends as Thanksgiving and other holidays draw near. Something to note is the ordering window for 1st semester is now closed. We invite you to start getting your lists ready for the 2nd semester resource ordering window which runs from Dec. 1st-Jan. 31st. We are so excited to keep serving you and your students. For any questions or clarification, please reach out to your mentor.
In this Touchpoint:
- Important: Wasatch Homeroom / Attendance
- Flex Submission Dates
- Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
- Spotlight: Reading Eggs
- Get Social
A great place to stay up-to-date on important dates is the calendar found on the parent dashboard. Here you’ll find information such as Flex submission dates, testing dates, school dates, etc.
Click here for the official Wasatch County School District calendar for the 2023-24 school year.
Upcoming School Dates:
Nov. 22-24: Thanksgiving Break.
Students are not required to complete school work during our Thanksgiving break. Mentors will also be unavailable. We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We sure are thankful to have you with us for this school year!
Important: Wasatch Homeroom / Attendance
Be sure to have your child respond to the weekly discussion post in the Wasatch Homeroom in Canvas. The question is posted each Friday, and you have until the following Friday to answer the question. Doing so provides Wasatch Learning Academy with a weekly “attendance log” and helps them to have a connection with students. This is an important part of your child’s attendance with WLA.
If you have any questions about the weekly Homeroom question, please contact your mentor.
Flex Submission Dates
Here are the Flex Direct and Flex Independent submission dates for the 1st semester. Be sure to submit your student’s worksheets on time as this tracks attendance and progress.
October 6 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science)
October 20 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math)
November 3 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science)
November 17 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math)
December 1 – (Kindergarten – Language Arts, Math, Science)
December 15 – (No Kindergarten Submission)
To find helpful information about Flex Direct or Flex Independent courses, log into the Family Resource Center and go to the Curriculum Orientation. From the sidebar menu in the Flex Direct and Flex Independent sections, you’ll find FAQs, which include submission instructions and a submission video.
Portfolio Submissions for 2nd Quarter
For Harmony Portfolio courses, the 2nd quarter portfolio submissions due date is Nov. 10. All portfolios needed to be submitted no later than November 10 to give the teachers time to review and grade them. If you haven’t submitted, please contact your mentor for instructions.
The guidelines for portfolios are as follows:
- 5-8 portfolio items per core subject (math, language arts, science).
- 1 portfolio item per elective for elementary students.
- 1-2 portfolio items per elective for middle school students.
- Items need to show student work, and examples could include worksheets, reports, tests/quizzes, science projects, etc. Remember that portfolio Items need to be the student’s actual work, not a learning log or description of what the student has been doing.
- Portfolio items need to be grade-level work.
- Portfolio items need to demonstrate student work over the course of 2 months.
Spotlight: Reading Eggs
Did you know that Harmony provides Reading Eggs accounts to all students? Reading Eggs is an online reading and phonics program, including 4 programs.
- Reading Eggs begins at the emergent level, helping pre-K through 2nd grade learners develop foundational skills as they learn letters and sounds, spelling, sight words, and basic sentences.
- Reading Eggspress includes exciting learning tasks that encourage proficient reading for 2nd/3rd through 6th grade students, helping them to develop reading, spelling, and vocabulary skills through engaging, age-appropriate activities and games.
- Fast Phonics is designed to teach, reinforce, and assess core phonics skills with 400 quick and fun lessons entirely focused on synthetic phonics instruction.
- The extensive online Library is packed with a collection of over 2,500 fiction and nonfiction ebooks. Students can select stories according to Lexile level, reading age, or genre, and they can even listen to books read aloud.
You are encouraged to use this program with your children as best meets their needs. There are no expected number of activities, and students are not required to use this program.
A new Reading Eggs section has been added to Harmony’s Curriculum Orientation, and you can find it here.
Ordering is now closed for first semester but will open again on December 1st for second semester ordering. It is a perfect time to prepare your list of educational supplies. Orders will start being processed on December 1st on a FCFS basis. All orders will be processed within 14 business days, but we can’t guarantee any items will arrive by Christmas. For all the ordering categories, except reimbursement, you can submit one order per semester per student.
For reimbursement, you can submit one request monthly, which can include as many receipts as needed.
2nd semester ordering window is Dec 1 – Jan 31.
Are you part of our growing community of Harmony parents? If not, please join us and get social. It’s a great place to share what is working with your family, ask questions of other parents, and receive updates on Harmony activities.
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/harmonyed_/
We wish you a wonderful November!
Emery Melendez, Program Manager
Denise Glines, Paraeducator
Ashley Coney, Mentor
Carly Purdy, Mentor
Libby Rice, Mentor
Mario Wilcock, Mentor
Melissa Newberg, Mentor
Noelle Quijano, Mentor
Sarah Dooley, Mentor